A San Diego Country Estates resident was airlifted to Palomar Medical Center after sustaining a snakebite Sunday.
The man was working in his yard when the snake delivered its venom to his hand, a spokesman at Ramona Fire Department Station 81 said.
Golfers enjoying the last of Sunday's daylight saw a Mercy Air helicopter landing on the greens at San Vicente Golf Resort at about 7 p.m. The spot is often used when medical emergencies bring people to Station 81 across the street.
Snakebites happen fairly often over the warmer months, according to the fire department.
"We tell people to call 911 if it happens," a Station 81 spokesman said Sunday night. "Everyone responds to the anti-venom differently. In this case, we felt it was best to get him to the hospital faster."
Hikers are often warned of snakebites over summer and the fire department also reminds residents that snakes can be hiding in undergrowth in gardens too.
"We advise people never to put their hands in places or walk in areas when they can't see what's there and never to go without shoes," the spokesman said.
He said the resident didn't know what kind of snake he encountered because he didn't see it.
"It's possible it could have been one of two varieties of rattlesnake, but we really can't say," the spokeman said.