Carbon Monoxide Poisoning Sends Three in Ramona to Hospital

Capt. Brent Stephens of Intermountain Fire/County Fire Authority said it's "critical" to make sure heater is in good working condition.

Three people were taken by ambulance to UCSD Medical Center to be treated for high levels of carbon monoxide early Thursday morning, County News Center reported.

At approximately 9:30 a.m., a 911 call was made from the 24000 block of Highway 78 reporting a medical emergency involving a single patient that was possibly cardiac in nature.

Shortly after a second person at the same household became ill, the person making the 911 call became unresponsive to dispatchers. 

Units from Intermountain Fire & Rescue, which is part of the San Diego County Fire Authority, CAL FIRE and the San Diego County Sheriff’s Department arrived on scene to find two patients with an altered level of consciousness outside the residence.

Firefighters wearing self-contained breathing apparatus rescued a third person who had collapsed inside the home.

Monitoring equipment confirmed unusually high levels of carbon monoxide. Both the heater and AC exhaust vents were clogged with acorns and debris. A carbon monoxide detector was in the residence, but it did not contain batteries.

All three patients were reported to be in stable condition as they were transported by ambulance from the scene.

"As we get into the winter months, it’s more critical than ever to make sure your heater is in good working order," Capt. Brent Stephens of Intermountain Fire/County Fire Authority said. “Also, make sure your home has a carbon monoxide detector and check the batteries.”

Residents can contact San Diego Gas & Electric (SDG&E).at 800-411-SDGE (7343) to schedule a free safety inspection. Additional information about how to safely heat your home this winter is available at sdge.com/furnace-safety.

California law requires that carbon monoxide detectors be installed in most homes. For more information on Carbon Monoxide poisoning and how to prevent it, visit CAL FIRE's website.

—County News Center


More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »