Sal Hernandez, owner of Sal Hernandez Tree Service in Ramona, died from apparent carbon monoxide poisoning Feb. 17 while camping in Imperial County with a co-worker, Imperial County Sheriff's Deputy Steven Green told Patch.
According to Green, Hernandez, 43, was camping in a car hauler trailer, or "box" trailer, in the Gordon's Well are near the Sand Dunes with co-worker Brett Beattie, 26, also of Ramona. The deputy told Patch that the two brought a charcoal grill into the trailer Saturday night (Feb. 16) and were found by friends they were camping with the next morning.
"We're still waiting on toxicology reports," Green said, "but it appears to be possible carbon monoxide poisoning."
Green said the trailer isn't meant for camping in and that the toxicology reports should take about 60 days to come back.
Hernandez, a certified arborist, owned Sal Hernandez Tree Service in Ramona.
Beattie was the son of former CHP officer Dean Beattie, who was fatally injured in 2003 on his motorcycle in an accident on state Route 163 near Genesee Avenue.
No information is available yet on arrangements for Beattie.