Liquid-Nitrogen Ice Cream. CSI Meets CSU. Dolphins and You.
Intrigued? Have a child who might be too? Then a big festival kick-off this weekend might be for you.
Your choices, near Ramona and in San Diego, include the San Diego Science Festival, a jam-packed week of activities celebrating every aspect of science you could imagine. The ice cream, CSI and dolphin questions all will be tackled at San Diego State Saturday.
Other events include two plays and a very important health screening.
Click the links for more details.
BEST BETS CLOSE TO HOME
- Where/when: Ramona High School, Ramona, 7:30 p.m. Friday and Saturday.
- Why Go: Who done it? That's the question posed by Clue, which will be performed by the school's theatre department.
- Price: $7.
- Where/when: Julian High School, Julian, 7 p.m. Friday and Saturday.
- Why Go: See Bye Bye Birdie, the popular 1960 musical based on the frenzy over Elvis Presley. Sorta like Justin Bieber now.
- Price: $8-12.
- Where/when: Ramona branch library, Ramona, 3 p.m. Friday.
- Why Go: Watch your little one make a keepsake at the library's weekly family craft-time. All ages are welcome.
- Price: Free.
- Where/when: Ramona High School, Ramona, 9 a.m. Sunday.
- Why Go: It's Sunday, we know. There are brunches to be had, picnics to be boxed up. But they can wait a few minutes. The school is hosting a heart-health screening to detect if teens have ailments that could cause sudden cardiac arrest. Doctors from Scripps will do the testing.
- Price: Free.
BEST BETS, A LITTLE FARTHER OUT
- Where/when: Balboa Park, San Diego State and various sites, San Diego, 9 a.m., Saturday.
- Why Go: To encounter all manner of science demonstrations and experiments at the sprawling San Diego Science Festival, which continues through March 26 at several area venues.
- Price: Free at San Diego State, varies at other sites.